Breathe your way to ﬁtness using proper breathing techniques.
Oxygen is essential to the muscle’s ability to function correctly. With adequate oxygen the muscles can extract all the energy they need from sugar in the blood. Using up these carbohydrates is what allows you to keep on exercising. By breathing correctly you will bring adequate oxygen to the muscles and your workout will be much more successful.
Key points on breathing.
- Breathing supplies oxygen to the muscles to aid in muscle contraction.
- Exhale as you begin the movement which is typically the lifting motion and then inhale on the return movement which is usually the lowering.
- Breathe naturally and never hold your breath.
Practice proper breathing BEFORE working out.
- Sit straight in a ﬁrm chair with your ﬁngertips gently resting on your stomach.
- Inhale deeply through your nostrils. Feel your abdomen expand. Your diaphragm and chest should rise as your lungs expand with air.
- Once your lungs are ﬁlled with air, exhale deeply by relaxing your chest and diaphragm, and pulling your stomach toward your spine.
- Repeat the pattern, noticing how the air moves in and out of your body.