Beat Muscle Soreness
Delayed onset muscle soreness is expected in the 24 to 48 hours following a challenging strength workout. It’s in the time following exercise that the muscles repair themselves and get stronger. If you are experiencing excessive muscle soreness, try one or all of these solutions.
- Perform a longer warm up.
- Stretch longer at the end of your workout.
- Drink more water.
- Take a hot shower.
- Rest longer in between workouts.
If muscle soreness still persists, try this stretching exercise.
- While timing yourself, hold the muscles that are sore in a constant stretch for one whole minute.
- Relax the same muscle group for one full minute.
- Repeat steps one and two twice more, so that you have performed the stretch/rest periods three times. This exercise will take six minutes per muscle group, which seems like a lot of time, but the outcome is worth it.